Good morning, readers! Here's the latest news you need to know:
Indonesia is set to have Southeast Asia's first high-speed railway as part of China's Belt and Road initiative. This project will reduce travel time between the capital and another major city from three hours to just 40 minutes.
UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is facing multiple challenges at the Conservative Party's annual conference, including improving opinion polls, fending off rivals, and gaining public support. He is hoping to use populism to achieve these goals.
Government workers in Nigeria have received a wage increase as an olive branch to labor unions who were threatening to strike due to economic hardships.
Drought conditions are limiting the number of ships that can pass through the Panama Canal. Currently, only 31 vessels can travel through per day, compared to the usual 40.
Climate change is intensifying the El Niño climate pattern, characterized by warm surface waters in the Pacific Ocean. Rising global temperatures are setting a hotter baseline for this year's El Niño, which could have severe consequences.
The exodus of healthcare workers from Nigeria to richer countries is putting a strain on the country's health system and leaving nurses exhausted and burned out.
Meta's new AI assistants draw inspiration from various celebrity personalities, but Snoop Dogg is not one of them.
In other news:
- Earthworms contribute as much to grain harvests as Russia does, providing 140 million tons of food each year.
- Scientists have developed tiny flying robots that can shape-shift mid-flight using origami techniques.
- AI technology has detected fairy circles in new locations across 15 countries.
- Extreme heat and high meat prices are making it difficult for barbecue makers in Texas to stay in business.
- Record-low water levels in Texas are revealing hidden caves and remnants of old houses.
Wishing you a productive day ahead!